The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
C15_Sierra

Taking apart bed?

I took the bed off my truck to help it fit in the garage better for paint/bodywork. I'm leaving the bed out in the driveway for now, and when the nose and cab are done, I will be moving on to the bed. Right now, its sitting in my driveway on sawhorses, but I'm worried more about it sliding off in high wind/rain conditions and a little less worried about the bees that like to nest in the pillars.

I was thinking about taking the bed apart, and whether it would be easier to do that for storage/maneuverability/painting - the RH bed side needs more work than the left and I have been debating its replacement anyway (which is, of course, hard to find in NE junkyards in good condition). FWIW - it needs dents taken out of the corners (and/or filled, a couple of them are on the edge so that will be tricky) and the wheel well needs to be banged back into shape and one of the fender supports needs to be replaced. Also the channel around the box is kinked/bent upwards on the RH side towards the middle, not sure if it can be pounded back into shape or not.

Looking at it, it looks like it all bolts together, but I'm wondering if there are any parts that are welded on. It seems awfully sturdy for a structure thats just simply bolted together. Thoughts?

1980 GMC C15 Sierra LWB
Dark Carmine Red/Carmine Int
Was: 250/3spd (1980-88), then a 305/TH350 (1988-2011)
Now: 5.3/4L60E, 2.73 12-bolt open rear
C15_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote