The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

We got home last night after a 12 hour marathon drive. We were both looking forward to sleeping in our own beds. The truck ran great, but not flawlessly. It was an outstanding way to do a shakedown cruise. No big problems, never took a tool out of the bag. It has a shake in the front suspension which has never been rebuilt. I had planned to do that this coming winter. It comes and goes, usually around 45-55, sometimes again around 65. Nothing some new bushings and rod ends won't cure. It used some oil, some was leaked, some probably burnt, but not enough to notice in the exhaust. It also lost some coolant but I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I know the cap lifted, but it never got hot. New cap, but maybe it's a bad one. I mentioned before the windshield leaks and wipers chatter. Outside of those items we never had a problem.

1607 miles, over 100 gallons of gas (averaged 14.8 mpg yesterday driving 70 mph the entire time), listening to either the wind and exhaust note or some tunes, whichever fit our mood. Great friends, great food, great ride, great weather, great fun. Now my girls are jealous their brother got to learn to shoot so they both want to go now. I can't wait to do it again.

Time for some pics.

Glamour shot...

One of the first big bridge crossings of the Mississippi

Welcome to MO.

Saw this rig going into St Louis. Some kind of Bronco conversion, or maybe crewcab conversion. Kind of different. Had a soft top up front, hard top in back I think.

Our first stop in St Louis, parking down at the riverfront. The water was a bit high. Lower level of the parking garage was flooded. You can see a sign in the water in front of the truck.

Of course we went to the arch.

A couple views from up top.

Double arches...

After this we had lunch downtown, walked around, then headed out to my friends place. We came back to St Louis the next day to eat at one of the top rated BBQ joints in the city, Pappys Smokehouse. It was excellent, I highly recommend it. Then we went to Anheuser Busch to take the tour.

On the way out...

The next morning we did some shooting. I have a couple rifles, but don't hunt or shoot regularly. So this was really the first time my son got to learn to shoot. Damon is a certified instructor and shoots in the cowboy shooting competitions. We started small with a .22 lever action. Donovan liked it so much that he went back to it later and wants to buy one now.

Then we shot some hand guns, starting with a Walther P22 auto. Then a .38 revolver and finally a 9mm auto. He did real well with all of them, must be all those video games . We worked up to the one every gamer wants to try, the AK-47. (its not fully auto, not allowed in IL)

But that's not all. Far from it. This little popper was built by Damon and has the same bore size as a golf ball.

It goes BOOM!

We both did a bunch of riding on the ATV's (Donovan) and dirt bikes (me, which I discovered I really really like). There was a party celebrating Damons son graduating from high school and for a house warming because they are now officially moved out of the city. I met lots of good people, drank some beer, ate way too much food, stayed up way too late BS'ing and had the best time I can remember in a long while.

Sunday morning we BS'ed some more (2 day party) ate a huge breakfast and hit the road.

Lots of gas, oil and water later, the truck was fantastic and is back in its stall.

As you can see, this truck was built for driving. No trailer queen here.

If you have a car or truck you love, and a friend or family member to share it with, don't hesitate, get that damn thing out of the garage and drive the hell out of it. You will not regret it.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote