The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
spitfire_er

Finally found an engine... but I think it's a frankestien!

After about 6 months of looking for a replacement engine for my 55.5 GMC 100 I finally located a 55 gmc bus conversion with what I thought was a 347 Pontiac in it.

I got some photos of it and figured it looked like a Pontiac so what do I have to lose. 6 hours on the road, an engine, and a Model A chasse later, I got this thing home.

Started decoding the numbers and found a few surprises. I can get numbers for anyone interested, but it turns out to be a 370 ci, Dec. 23rd 1957 Block, Dark green color, 1959 389 heads and exhaust manifolds, light blue in color, a misc year intake, I think 57, orange, and a misc year water pump housing/front case cover, also orange. I'm thinking the original V8 was tossed and a bunch of Pontiac car engines were cannibalized to make up this one "GMC" engine minus the intake and front crank/water pump cover.

So I have this tie dye color engine, but it runs and has had the heads rebuilt recently. owners of the bus said engine was rebuilt a few years back, then the Hydra-matic crapped out on them and it never got fixed, so I feel I scored big. Only thing I'll need to change is it has "Tea Pot" intake spacer between the carb and intake which will need to go away.

Anybody know what a 370 block and 389 heads give me assuming it hasn't been bored? Also would it make sense that if they rebuilt the engine, maybe it got bored out to close to if not a 389? I'm not sure if it could be done, but it would be good for me!

I'll try and get some photos up later.

Last edited by spitfire_er; 06-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
spitfire_er is offline   Reply With Quote