The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
BiggSixx1970

Angry trouble stay cool.. (truck and me!)

Alright guys, I've been fighting this beast for weeks now I just can't keep my truck cool, It just keeps overheating and I don't know what to do..

This all started a few weeks back when I decided to replace my original hoses and flush out my radiator, replace the thermostat, this went good without a hitch, new hoses look good.. Well I noticed my water pump started weeping, oh joy, but that was easier than expected.

I replace the water pump in what felt like minutes, filled the old girl back up, fired it up to take it for a test run and it started over heating. My radiator didn't appear to be flowing right.. I wanted to replace the old radiator anyways because it was kind of beat up and had a couple pinholes and some corrosion.. Soo, I have a friend with a couple spare radiators at his place a 3 core and a 4 core, that he was going to use in is 455 '70 buick skylark. It drops right in, easy as pie, once i figured out some size variables with attaching my hoses I filled her back up and went for another test fire..

It overheats again this afternoon

The rundown.. I replaced all of my heater/radiator hoses, replaced my thermostat, replaced my radiator and upgraded to a 4 core, and replaced my water pump, and flushed the engine the best I could yet the old straight six still is overheating.

Do I need to bleed the system? If so how do I do that? I primed the system the best I cold by making sure the hoses were full, I also stuck a garden hose inside my water pump and blasted a bunch of water back into the water-jacket.. I just don't know what to do now, or where to start? I was thinking about putting in another thermostat in case the new one is bad. It's a 250 straight 6, if anyone needs pictures I can take some. I just don't know what to do now, I'm reaching the limits of my mechanical know-how

Thank you all for your time! Ya'll are awesome

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545486

Gentlemen wear a bow tie.
BiggSixx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote