The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Denee007

Got the truck down street, now questions

Hi ya'll! an update to include the entire gang here:

Yesterday I idled around my neighborhood to see how the truck would do. I put about 5 gallons of gas in it to hopefully not run out. When I pulled in my driveway after about 15 minutes, the engine died abruptly, but started right up, then would die about a minute later, did this over and over again. I suspected the module in the dizzy cause I had the same problem in my Mustang (had an HEI same brand), so I just happen to have one! Also I noticed no electric gel beneath the module (I know this is supposed to be important). Today, I ran it all around the area and seems to be doing OK. I don't know if I trust it yet to go very far.

My main question is that of steering. I have the Saginaw power steering conversion from Brothers with the steering box in front of the drivers side wheel, but I moved the gear a little farther forward than what the directions said in hopes to ward off bump steer. Stock straight axle with disc brakes/king pins overhauled by Sid at Dropped axles. Steers extremely easily. When I'm idling down the road, the best way I can describe it is like when steering a boat at slow speed, you know, a lot of play until you get going then the steering seems to resume. I'm kind of chicken to get it too fast for right now! It's not quite that bad, but very noticeable. With my husband moving the steering wheel back n forth with the engine off, all looks good, everything is tight, the gear is solid. I was thinking maybe to adjust the steering gear a little tighter? I need mufflers! the resonating sound is killing me!

The AC, when I started the engine out of a cool garage, the AC was blowing 38 degrees((it's 90degrees here), but when the truck gets up to operating temp, the temp goes to about 40-45. I checked the heater control valve and it is closed or no feeling of hot water going into the heater core. I have an electric fan, desert cooler radiator. The temp gauge on the factory instrument cluster goes pretty far over to the right, but with a thermometer in the radiator, it's hovering about 185-190, feels hotter, but the thermometer isn't lying to me. For checking the AC, I have my AC gauges hooked up running about 25/225 at fast idle. I have my power cat squirrel cage blower directly in front of the grill. I wish the electric fan would move more air! Have to think about this!
Comments always welcomed!
dne'

Otherwise, I'm just having to get used to the truck on the street. Kind of scary, but the truck is tight, no squeaks except for the door which I haven't put the door weather stripping in yet. The brakes, though I have power front disc brakes with rear drum, just don't seem to stop as well as I'd like. I have a good vacuum line going to the booster. I re-bled the rear brakes cause of having the axle off recently.

So if you'd have comments, especially on the steering part, that would be appreciated! Right now, I'm playing with the AC, the low side valve is leaking and overnight, the system became low, but functionally cooling.

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote