The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Baradium
Binder Rep

HEI Conversion

I'm going to be attempting to install a used HEI in the '70 pickup (350, all original currently, still running points), most likely tomorrow.

Search on metacrawler, and a search of the board (board search didn't really turn up anything, kept it limited to 67-72 forum) still leave me with a few questions.

What's the preferred method for hookup of the HEI? IE, where do I need to draw power from?

Is the resistor wire for points powered full time? (I believe there is a bypass wire energized from the starter in the "start" position, wondering if this caused GM to make the resistor only energized in RUN). One site I came across suggested replacing the resistor wire with a 12 guage wire and I'd be good to go, but if it's not energized full time it could cause headaches (also someone else suggested capping off and labling the old points wires in case the HEI ever failed, keeping the old points dizzy under the seat).

I'm hoping all the parts on this dizzy are good, I'll check the vacuum advance tomorrow with a vacuum pump to make sure it works before installation, other than that everything felt good. What is the reccomended oil to use for the parts? They all feel good, but it seems to me that some more oil couldn't hurt since the dizzy is out and in my hands...

Any tips or suggestions for this hookup? I figured I might bump the engine until the timing mark is visible under the guage for the timing, that way if I do get messed up during the install I know what plug the rotor should be pointing to and can go from there.

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I also managed to break my heater core last chance I had to work on this truck... a few months ago. Hoping the HEI will cure some of the perpetual problems I've had preventing the truck from being dependable.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote