The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Coupeguy2001

emergency brake

What are some of you doing for emergency brake cables on the forward end?
57 half ton,
I cut off my frame, replaced it with a Kimbridge stub, and the factory emergency brake linkage and cable are not going to go back on.
I am still using the original hand brake handle.

What I did in the mean time is to buy a cable, shorten the outer jacket to length, then cut the cable and put it back under the bed on the arm that is already there. I found an adapter that the cable will screw onto at the top end, and made a firewall plate that the cable jacket will fit in, then attached the top of the cable to the handle. The cable comes out of the firewall through my plate in the original hole that the old brake rod came out of.
I need to make some sort of bracket to dead end the jacket into under the bed so that the outer jacket is fixed and can't move.
Right now, I have the thing rigged up so that it's a one time use only brake for emergency. if I use it the way it is, it just tears up the cable jacket. I Gotta get crackin' on it because it worries me that I can't set the brake.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote