The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Thomo5150

Re: C20

Starting to re square the frame, once the cross members are removed its not an easy task to bolt it back together making everything square again. This is why I went for a 6 x 6 inch box section to replace the gearbox cross member. This centre cross member is what everything else frame wise will be squared off...........

Bevelling the edges to fit inside the C section of the frame.

The cross member now sits flush with the frame.

Because the frame will be pulled down a few more times the cross member is only bolted in, it will be welded when finished.

With the cross member fitted I used threaded rod in the frame alignment hole to pull the cross member in flush against the inner frame rail section.

The rear of the frame and centre were level, the part of the frame where the cab cross member was not, problem?

The frame rail on one side was out of square, soon as I fitted and tightened the treaded rod it levelled this part of the frame again.

I'll fit the front cross member when everything is squared before I shape it .

I will set the frame back at ride height. I'll then run a string line down the centre of the chassis table. I'll square and set the centre cross member once this is done I'll weld the side plates. Its then a matter of squaring the frame with the treaded rod and the string line......

Then the cab and radiator support panel will be trial fitted as well.......
Thomo5150 is offline   Reply With Quote