The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
ozkiwi

CRATE HATE. Crate engines are rubbish.50% failure rate is normal.

The guy who installed my engine told me straight up that crate engines are a pile of crap.
The guy who re-gased the air con told me the blocks are full of sand and porous.
Infact since I installed my crate engine it is a non stop procession of doomsday experts saying it is only a mater of time before something lets go.
The story is they are assembled by guys who used to be farmers 2 days before they started at the crate engine factory using a hammer and a 8 inch adjustable wrench.Blocks are cast in hand dug sand molds and all nuts and bolts are tightened by hand to no particular torque setting including mains and big end caps .Oil pumps are always finger tight and many key components are just left in the sump because most of the workers are stoned on cheap weed or just can’t be bothered at the end of a 18 hour day……….Etc Etc
Many of the people who warn me of my stupidity are in the trade some make a living building motors.It has come as a bit of a shock to me that so many people and many whom should know better seemed convinced crate engines are only good 50% of the time.
How many here have had a trouble free crate motor ?
Has anyone who bought a crate engine actually had a major problem.(Not just heard about it or “a buddy told me” )
ozkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote