The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
benscool1

84 Silverado 305 starting issues

My 84 has been giving me trouble lately. When I first start it after its been sitting a day or two it cranks over just fine but doesn't get fuel, like it lost its prime. You have to put a little gas down the carb and then it fires right up and runs good other than being a little cold-blooded. The fuel pump is new and the lines look good but the original quadrajet was pretty worn out so I slapped on a new 1406 Edelbrock I had sitting on the shelf last night. I'll find out if I solved that problem when I get home tonight.

My other problem is when I start it after the truck it is warmed up the starter cranks VERY slowly, almost like the battery is going dead. Its got a brand new battery, all cables and connections have been cleaned and checked, and the alternator is showing that its charging. I've heard "heat sink" I think its called, can cause a seemingly good starter to not work properly after the engine is hot. Could my starter be going bad?

Any insight or advice would be great, I don't really have any spare cash to be throwing at this thing right now if I don't need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by benscool1; 07-01-2013 at 09:23 AM.
benscool1 is offline   Reply With Quote