The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
mookiex4

Question I have an issue finding the correct starter

I have a 65 GMC truck that I had my local high school install a Late 60's 283 that was rebuilt to a 327. I have tried one of the starters the the two bolt install vertically or straight up into the rear of the block. It will not engage the flywheel. I have bolt holes for the bell housing where the type of starter can mount, which is the way I am used to seeing a starter mount with 3 bolts.

Can anyone give me guidance? I have noticed that when looking for a starter they are designated by transmission type, such as 3 speed and 4 speed manuals, poerglide and automatic transmissions. Mine is the 4 speed with the granny gear. Is this considered a 3 or 4 speed. Who ever uses the granny gear unless you are planning to pull a house off the foundations. HA!HA!

Really guys, starters are not cheap to keep buying and returning. Thanks in advance.

Mark
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote