The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
66 C10 383

Fuel Cell Mods For EFI

I have a 66 C10 that I'm getting ready to drop in my 383 in. I'm trying to work with what I already have the best that I can. I'm also going with an internal pump setup. Daily driver with a TPI style EFI system. I have a friend who can mig weld that will be doing the mods on this fuel cell. No, it has never had fuel of any kind in it so vapors are not a concern, I bought it new.

From a previous project, I have a 20 gallon alum fuel cell.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2200as/overview/

I plan on using this pump module in my fuel cell. Includes the Walbro pump.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Here's my plans ...

Since this fuel cell is longer (24") than it is wide (20"), I plan on removing the rear facing sump and the dual -8 outlets since I won't be needing them with the top mounted supply line in the module. I can then mount the cell in the truck frame "sideways" for a better fit. This would also put the sending unit on the side of the fuel cell. Would this be better moved to the rear of the fuel cell? Would it really matter?

This fuel cell has on the top a return and a vent with a rollover valve. How can I tell which one the rollover valve is mounted in? Since the fuel pump module has a vent already in it, should I block the one in the module and use the one in the fuel cell or block the cell and use the one in the module? Would it be better to remove both the return and vent from the cell and use the ones in the module?

Foam - my fuel cell has the foam in it. Should I remove it and use the reservoir tray in the module? Use both the reservoir tray and the foam? Is the foam just free floating inside or is it glued/fastened down somehow? Would it be better to remove the foam and weld in some aluminum baffles to cut down on fuel slosh?

The depth of the tank is 10". I'll naturally have it as high in the frame as possible but should I have it shortened for extra ground clearance? I only plan on dropping the rear of the truck 3" - 4" in the rear. I realize this would reduce the gallons it holds but who can afford to fill up with 20 gallons of fuel anyway ...

I'm guessing since the tank is vented already, I'd need a non-vented cap?

I need ideas on how to set this thing up ... I have done several searches and seen some of your fuel cell installs but these questions still remain ...

Doug
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote