The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
focusedontheprize

I am done with this NV3500!

The positives was this was a great weekend. The car show was a blast and a bunch of people were loving that 292 inliner in the truck. I had a great time.

Unfortunately this transmission has been giving me nothing, but headaches. I have a '92 Chevy K1500 NV3500 tranny in it. It was more that it was a bargain (foolish on my part) and I would be doing a little towing with it. When I first put it in, I noticed there was quiet a bit of slop in it. I have never driven a NV3500, so I didn't know if that was usual. However, once I started wheeling around I noticed it didn't have 5th and reverse. Now I no longer have 2nd gear.

So out it is coming. The transmission is a very complex design and I have no interest in rebuilding it. To be honest, I am not too bothered by it ($50 gamble I took) and I drove my buddy's '52 that has a T5 in it and I decided I want mine to drive more like a car trans then a truck so all good.

After doing some research I am looking for a '89-'92 Chevy T5 WC edition. I like the higher rating on the torque (safe side) and the gearing. However my only question is towing capability. I am not towing a car behind it, but plan on towing a small trailer (something like this is the biggest I would go), but I would like double check if it could handle it.

Setup:
Chevy 292 (stock build) and 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears.

Transmission I am looking for:
'89-'92 V8 T5: 1st - 2.95 2nd - 1.94 3rd - 1.34 4th - 1.00 5th 0.73 or 0.63

Any ideas or experience in this?
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote