The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
mgeez

1st post on this site! Intro and a question!

Hello from Pa.,
I have been a 1 yr lurker and this is my 1st post. I did not find an introduction section, so I will start here.
I am helping my younger son restore a '51 3/4 ton. He is in his 4th yr of college and has very limited $$$ to buy the high dollar repro parts it requires, hence I do a graet deal of welding, patching, welding, etc.
The '51 3/4 ton was a stake bed from the factory. It sat in a barn since 1985. The motor was replaced with a mid 60's 235 I believe. 3 speed on the column. Left foot parking brake. Electrical was at some point converted to 12 volt. We removed the stake bed, straightened all sheet metal from the cab to the front. Gutted the wiring rats nest harness. We replaced 100% of brake components and lines. He originally was going to put the stake bed back on, but since the cab and front turned out so well, we decided to find another truck with a good bed.
He purchased a '52 1 ton with an original 9' bed in very good shape. 4 speed with hand emergency brake. This truck is 100% original except an added "farmers rear bumper", and in fair to good shape for not running since 1991. All the sheet metal is salvagable except the tailgate and the front bed panel. After removing the bed and any better parts than on the 3/4 ton, we plan to sell all the remaing parts to recoup some $$$.
So, I removed approx 12" from the bed front as well as 12" from the rear of the bed. Of course the running boards and bed aprons had to be shortened.
Now..... my question:
I am almost positive the 3/4 has the orig 3 speed tranny, and I know the 1 ton has its original 4 sp tranny. Question: Will the 4 sp bolt right into the 3/4 ton? He wants to do this for several reasons. Its way "cooler" to have a 4 sp on the floor. We think the hand emergency brake is neat, as it bolts directly to the 4 sp tranny for suport. I would like to switch to the 4 sp to clean the "rats nest" of levers, rods, springs, etc under the left cab side. I could delete the left foot emergency pedal and those darn column shift linkages. Any thoughts? What should be my main concern?

Mark from Pa.
mgeez is offline   Reply With Quote