The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Ralph (1970 GMC)

Disc brake conversion and replacing (rusty) front cross member : Questions

I’m a new Member (up here in Maine) and really like this Website/online resource. This is my first Post so please be patient

I have a 70 GMC 1/2 ton short bed stepside with a 383 stroker - very fun ! I've had this truck since high school (27 years ago) – It's not a show truck but in good condition. Due to rust, I'm replacing my front crossmember, A-arms (plus ball joints, tie rods, shocks, idler + pitman arms, coil springs, etc.) and converting to front Disc brakes.

It’s nearly impossible to get a good crossmember or any parts actually here in New England (re: rust or crushed), so after years of searching I found a guy (Tom) at 'Tuckers Parts' in Nevada that sold me a nice crossmember for $250 + $60 shipping. Several years ago, I had bought the 4 new Control Arms (on Ebay).

My plan is to buy the disc 'kit' - after a lot of research it seems like Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) knows their stuff the best & they say they’re good quality and American parts ($859 + another $150 in shipping : for spindles, rotors/hubs, calipers, pads, brake lines/hoses, Master Cylinder, Proportion valve, backing plates, bearings). The kit does not include the ball joints or tie rod parts. I believe it's best to get the spindles/kit that fit my original parts/year (ball joints, etc.), and need the 6 lug rotors/hubs. There are many other places (LMC, 'Classic Performance', etc) that sell these kits, but they either want you to buy the ’73-87’ kit (with special tie rod sleeves, etc) and are missing the Master Cylinder, Proportion valve, or ready to install brake hoses/lines.

Questions for everyone please :

1. Where did you get your disc brake conversion parts/kits ? Specifically the rotors/hubs, calipers, and spindles ? I keep thinking I could save a bunch of money by 'piecing' the parts together (the local parts store would save me on shipping costs but might be higher priced to start), but it's been difficult because it's a 1970 & 6 lug, and I want the spindles to fit the original parts. I obviously want quality parts too.

2. When bolting back on the (‘new’) front cross member : do you use a washer on the bolt head side (it appears GM didn't originally) and on the other/nut side do you use a 'washer/ then lock washer/then regular nut' or do you use a 'washer and lock nut' ?

3. I’m looking to buy the ball joints, tie rods, shocks, idler + pitman arms, and coil springs from a place called 'RockAuto.com' which seems to have nice parts/brands with great prices. Has anyone used them – your thoughts ?

Thank you in advance for your support - much appreciated !

Ralph
Ralph (1970 GMC) is offline   Reply With Quote