The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Old Crow

'54 build questions.

A customer brought me a '54 5 window shortbed yesterday. Truck is in pieces, and even mostly there...heck, I've got 3 of some things.

Anyway, customer wants to keep the straight axle(believe me, I tried to talk him into a MII kit)and lower the truck around 3"...my plan is to go with lowering springs front and rear). I think this is a better option than the drop axle. Discuss.

Wants to keep the 235(which is newly re-done), but ditch the torque tube axle in order to mess with the gearing(hoping to get highway speeds out of the stock motor). I'm thinking Nova rear end(I've already got a good one). I'm aware of the need to offset the axle to center it in the wheel well.
He also wants to keep the manual 4 speed. Can I find a later model(post '55, say, made to use an open driveline)that'll bolt up to the 235?

Alternatively, is there a readily available automatic tranny that'll bolt up?
Yeah, I know I'll probably have to mess with the motor mounts...no biggie, I have the equipment.

Front driver's side cab mount and all running board mounts have been cut off the frame. I'll have to deal with that. Even the steering column has been cut off about 3" above the box...they didn't even take it apart, so I don't think I'll be able to use the upper half even if I do the Chevy box power steering conversion.

Truck is still in the brainstorming phase. Any and all suggestions or comments welcome.
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote