The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
no_rice

installing factory 4 speed manual in 3 on the tree truck

so...

i have the opportunity to to get a factory 4 speed for a very good price. with everything i need to put it in my truck (70 gmc 2wd currently with 350th auto, but originally 3 on the tree truck)

the clutch pedal and the main rod connected to that are still in my truck, and the way this came about is i just picked up a matching green smooth, manual on the floor column for my truck. a friend saw that and asked if i need the a trans as well... i was intending to just put a ratchet shifter on the floor for now until(already bought the thing a couple months ago damnit!) i decided what trans to put in(6 speed was eventual hope, but money will keep that at bay for some time) the reason i was going to put the manual column in now, was because im installing my power steering hopefully soon and figured i may as well get the column i want in at the same time and get rid of the random automatic blue one installed now.

all that being said. has anyone ACTUALLY tried to install a manual 4 speed in a low hump floor without changing to a high hump?

i may be able to get my hands on this high hump(out of the truck i just took this column out of). small hole chopped for a auto on the floor ratchet shifter but patchable.
Name:  2013-01-21 13.55.29.jpg
Views: 3116
Size:  55.6 KB

is the spot where that shift boot is up front, where a factory 4 speed would come out(i think so)? i have yet to see this trans that i may get, and havent been in a factory 4 speed truck of this body style.

with what i assume is some pretty long legged gears in the rear of my truck, and 22's on the back. it cruises pretty decent down the interstate even at 80mph. no tach currently so i dont know what rpms im running, but it is not screaming and has throttle left. the 4 speed would have even a bit longer legs normally then an old 3 speed auto.

the woman and i just put about 150 miles on it yesterday with alot at 70-80 mph and also plenty of downtown traffic driving, and got 16.4 mpg(with an old leaky out of whack in need of rebuild quadrajet!)

also, i think the cross member should work...?! but are the driveshafts usually different? (its a 2 piece)

thanks for any info.
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote