The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
bnoon

1976 Sierra Classic big block

I sold my '86 earlier this year because I didn't have room to store it, but I missed it too much. I'll put this one on the street and move it every few days to avoid tickets...

Just picked this up yesterday for $1,750. Factory 454 auto ac truck. I've seen cleaner trucks for less, but I had to have this one. When the restoration was done back in 1996, this truck sold for $6,995 as I found the sales sheet from the old dealership he bought it from. Obviously the metal wasn't prepped correctly as the paint is flaking off of rusted metal before the rust even really killed the metal itself, but I don't care. Original color was yellow, but it's now my favorite color combo of orange and white. Also, as bad as the rust looks, it's almost all from improper sheet metal prep. The frame and braces are perfect, as are the cab mounts and floor. If it were prepped right, there might have been a few spots around the wheelwells and that's about it.

The 454 is cammed and headers to dual Cherry Bombs and dumps. It runs well and the TH400 has a nice solid shift kit. The guy has the wrong cam in it however as he way over cammed those peanut port heads. I dug up several of my old magazine articles and I'm going to copy a certain build from Car Craft where they made about 465 horse and mid 500's tq with peanut ports. Should be enough for me for a little while at least, then step up to some Pro Comp heads maybe.

Rear brakes are shot and the fronts had been updated with new calipers and pads, but not bled. I shot through the first stop sign nearly hitting a white Lexus and gray pickup truck! After I pulled over in a parking lot and changed my drawers, I continued to Walmart to pickup new tires before the 100 mile drive home. Walmart guys were nice enough to help me bleed the brakes even though the aren't allowed to do brake work since it was a serious safety issue. Brakes worked good enough for a gingerly drive home, so off we went. New master cylinder from the auto parts store and I need to find a used right rear brake to pull a few parts from and then I can complete the rears. Should be a fun project and I needed another truck to do some hauling for a home I'm renovating. I'll post that house project up in an off topic forum or something.
Attached Images

bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote