The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #28
vectorit
What?

Re: D60 or Corp14?

Jason - At this point I'd be happy running the 4.11 gear over the 4.57's I have now.

I like the 14FF due to it's sturdy build, and the availability of new OE and aftermarket parts.

The D60 just seems half the size of my Eaton or the 14FF.
Keep in mind I never went out to get the D60, it just came with the front axle I wanted. So I was curious about it as a possible candidate to replace the Eaton, but deep down I was scratching my head if I could get my self to go with it over the Eaton or 14.

There is a really good thread about swapping the 14FF drum brake system to the Eaton, and it looks like it is something that is attainable by swapping everything from backing plate out from the 14 to the Eaton.
I just need to come to a point where I can lay out all of the parts, and then see if I can make it all work.

(The 14FF big drums are better, and more readily available than my 12" Eaton drums).

I have run trucks with a 33" tall tire, while running a 4.11 gear with a SM465. I think I would be happier for sure, since with a 4.11 I'd still have a low 1'st in my 465. Where as I had a '70 PU with 3.73 gears and a 465, and the 1'st was no longer a crawling gear.

I know I am riding the line here with low gears and highway manageability while using a 465 trans, so the obvious is plain to me regarding the pitfalls of low vs high axle ratio's.

In my case I am struggling with history, classic looks, and highway manners... Plus the pain point of money being thrown at the whole thing.

My Suburban has always been a labor of love, so I don't want to ruin that with high credit card debt to get something I want out of it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote