The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Lugnutz65

Restore the old or buy new parts? Something to consider carefully.

I did a search and found nothing along this topic. This will likely get a variety of responses from "purists" and "customizers" and everyone in between.

Before you respond to this post, please read the question AND the points made below.

Here's my question: Is it better to use restored OEM parts or use new repop parts?

My question has multiple factors for you to consider before you answer.
1. OEM parts fit better (usually).
2. OEM parts usually take a long time to restore (remove rust, patch holes, sand, prime, body filler, prime again, paint.)
3. OEM parts that are in good shape are harder to find (usually)
4. OEM parts might have a short life span because they are already "old".
5. Repop parts don't require as much preparation before they are ready to install. (A huge time saver).
6. Repop parts are readily available. This saves a lot of time "searching" for parts.
7. Repop parts are "NEW" and should last a long time.
8. People who don't make reasonable progress on their build often become discouraged and quit.

Here's why I even bothered to ask the question. My 65 C10 was in really decent shape when I bought it and a perfect candidate for a full restoration. However, I think it had been hit more times than a hockey player. I find myself spending a tremendous amount of time removing scale rust, stripping paint, and rust proofing metal. It is very time consuming and the supplies are not always cheap either. After 2 years and countless hours of hard work, I'm starting to envy the folks who have trucks with parts that are too far gone to use and then buy new (repop) parts. New doors, fenders, trailing arms, engines, etc.

I'm jealous (in a good way) of the beautiful trucks I see at shows and on this forum. Their owners are out driving and enjoying their nice trucks. But you might say, "New parts are not cheap!" - but neither is my time (even though I really enjoy working on my truck).

Case in point - I've stripped, sandblasted, applied rust-proof coating to my original 1965 radiator core support. It's in perfect shape and needs no structural repairs whatsoever. Still, by the time I finish with primer and paint, I will probably have 20 hours in it, plus $20 - $30 in supplies. Compare that to a new piece from your favorite vendor = around $130 plus shipping. Which is better? I know which one is cheaper - but is it really? I might spend an extra 2 years restoring my rusty parts when I could have been having fun driving it if I'd bought new repop parts.

Food for discussion. There! Now I feel better after my small tantrum! Hahaha!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote