The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
RyanAK

'71 Burb "Earl" drivetrain

Hey, gang. As I'm getting the suspension plan in order for Earl, (see http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=593384) I thought I'd start a discussion to gather thoughts on some possible upgrades to the heart of the beast.

Earl has about 48K on the original 350/350TH and 3.73 rear. Runs like a champ, if somewhat leisurely. I'm looking for ideas on a nice balance between snappy performance and reasonable economy. Fun to drive, but won't kill me at the pump. The '04 Z71 Burb with 5.3 gets 18mph, and I'm ok with that. Most miles that Earl sees will be highway miles.

Engine-wise, I'd like to keep the original 350 and go with bolt-on upgrades. Headers, carb, intake, heads, etc. 48K on it, after all! I'd be interested in eventually going with a transmission swap to gain overdrive. Or a shift kit if it will gain me something. Rear gears... I actually think the 3.73 is a good compromise, as Earl may very rarely get the call to tow a 3800 lb (dry) Airstream. But highway driving gets priority.

So whatcha think? What are some reasonable upgrades that work well in combination to get me that performance/economy ratio I'm looking for?

Thanks guys.

Ryan
Posted via Mobile Device
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote