The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Denee007

DWCSR saves my rear end!

Hi, Dne' here, sorry about the title! but it is my rear end in my 59 that he saved! or maybe I should call it my differential?

First off, if some of you don't know Dave Chapman or DWCSR or, http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/, then you're missing out on knowing a great contributor to this site and to the classic truck industry! He's an electrical genius, truck restorer, and he's also a remarkable person to know! For me, I'm blessed that he lives pretty much just down the road!

The rear end in my truck has caused long delays in getting it on the road, or one particular mechanic that "checked" out my rear end and gave me a "thumbs up" caused the delays! Perhaps some of you had followed one or two of my threads and felt my discombobulation of how to proceed! I've found that some "mechanics" out there are "illogical".

LSS~ Last week I loaded my rear end, all the new parts of which Dave helped me find the best deal, and whatever I could think of to make the job go smoother~

Here's Dave comfortably positioned to put this thing together! For me, it was fun to work along side him~

My job was to have this this axle housing clean, and make it easier to work on without getting grease under our nails! Nothing like clean parts! Plus I had previously relocated the spring perches to 41.5".

Dave has the dial indicators and expertise to do this~ for me, it requires a little more math than I care to deal with, especially on critical measurements. Or as plumbers would say, "I keep cutting it off and it's still too short"!lol

I knew we were going to need a tool to hold the yoke to set the crush sleeve. I saw online how to make the tool~ I didn't realize just how much umph it was going to take to do this!

I made the tool to hold the yoke and it was butt up against the table, I have a long breaker bar, but it wasn't enough. Dave had a really long tube that made the mechanical advantage even greater which still took everything I had to crush that sleeve to specs!

For the occasion, I had purchased this aluminum rear end cover, :"I spared no expense!" (what's that from?)

Note: Before taking the truck on a drive, I put the rear end up on jackstands, started the truck, put it in gear and let it run for about 25 minutes in drive.

This morning, 8-29-13, I took it for a test drive~ and oh my, it's quiet! and there's no 90wt leaking from it! I'm so thrilled! I called Dave and thanked him!

btw~ when I re-installed the rear end, I put 1" lift blocks, I like the way it sits now.

Thank you Dave!
dne'
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote