The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
sixTsix

To disc or not

ok fella's im kind of stuck in a delima in my head. undecided on which route I want to go here. so im wanting to get some opinions here.
so here we go, my truck needs major attention in the brakes department, amongst other areas as well ...lol ..gotta be able to stop if I plan on going . right ? right. so my goal originally was to by fall ...to have the front end ripped down to rebuild. well I cant decide to go disc or not. I know I really like to do a correct drop (dropped spindles and coils) instead of cut coils. I know a good conversion is really the best way to go. and if I go this way ...it will be a kit ...whether it be Cpp's or ECE's ...it will be all new ...not some salvage yard rebuild. just cant do that I know theres nothing wrong with going the salvage yard route ... would rather have all new parts.
anyhow .. there is a part of me that really wants to keep it period correct and keep the drums and make them power assist. where the delima lies is im ready to wrench now and knock it out ....I can knock the power drums out now ...a kit have to put together a little more money to buy the kit I want.
I also own a 69 impala custom 2 door hardtop with power drums ...I know drums will stop great when operating properly. im just torn.
something I haven't even looked into yet ..are there even drop spindles for drum ? I think I know my answer, (no) ,there hahaha
I also at some point plan on building a decently hot motor for it so im leaning to the conversion for that reason ...and the drop spindles coils ect ...the purest in me wants to keep the drums ...either way im keeping 6 lug I know that. I don't care about wheel options ...steelies just fine for me ...6 lug came on the truck ..that's what im staying with.
so what do you guys think? think you can help a "head case" like me?? hahaha
sixTsix is offline   Reply With Quote