The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Old Bleu, I'm not sure I follow wallow out the splines.....file them down so the thickness of the splined hub is less or taper the inside diameter of the spline shaft hole to make it larger in diameter? Pics?

I gotta call Tom...need to anyway...18.9 mpg on this tank of fuel, city/highway. Woo Hoo! Over 18 mpg is getting to be the pretty regular reading. A T5 could add from 3 to 5 mpg to that measure.

Now, tonight I finally got the heat riser freed up...it was rusted FULL OPEN....several hot and cold soaks with WD40 and tapping with a small SmasherWacker and finally, gentle persuasion with vice grips on the shaft freed it up. Still sticky and the spring on the backside is long rusted away but at least here in central NC I can run this dude full closed and not have cold drivability issues with an electric choke.

Ya see, I been havin a lil problem with percolation on shut down during the hottest days of the summer....just a lil bit boilin and barfin out and mostly sittin in the intake log. Never enough to cause hot start issues but it sure means I don't need full blast manifold heat mosta the time!!!!

I figure to attack the problem a step at a time...first to close the manifold heat riser. Second to relocate the metal fuel filter as it's prolly acting as a heat sink and slightly increasing line pressure. Third would be to insulate the carb with a Weber heat sink spacer and last would be to put a heat shield between the manifold and fuel bowl. I'm expectin that runnin mosta the heat down and out the pipe instead of up on to the base of the intake will solve this minor problem on all but the Black Rock Desert days of summer.