The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
wgjones3

What do you guys think about this..... (I'm new to the world of '67-'72s)

Here's the situation... back in August, I went and looked at 2 pickups, a '69 Chevy C10 SWB w/ 2 beds (fleetside and stepside), and a '72 GMC C20 LWB camper special that had been wrecked in front. The guy wanted $2800 for both. The GMC has an A/C cab and all the guages, plus the cab has solid floors and a good gas tank. The Chevy is rough. The rockers are out of the cab, the floors are gone, the tank is shot, the grille is trashed, the bumpers are bent beyond recognition. It has a supposedly built 350 out of a wrecked '69 Camaro w/ only 39,xxx miles on it, but the engine doesn't run too good right now (a buddy of mine swears it's the Holly carb, not the motor itself). The frame, from what I've seen, looks solid.

Basically, between the two trucks, there's the potential for once nice ride, but the $2800 he was asking was way too steep for me, so I passed on the deal (at the time, I was only interested in the GMC anyway).

Today, he calls me up and asks me to make an offer. What do you guys think this deal is worth, having not seen the trucks? I was thinking of offering $1400 for the pair.

My goal is to build a daily driver. I want something with disk brakes up front, a strong enough V-8 to haul a trailer with a car on it, an overdrive tranny (5 speed stick, preferably, but a 700R4 most likely), and a highway gear in the rear end (I'm thinking somewhere around a 3.55 or a 3.73). Of course, i want A/C, a CD player, sway bars front and rear, and power steering.

I really don't want to spend more than $5000 on the whole project. Assuming that the truck stays mostly stock except for what I mentioned above, am I figuring about right for this project? I'm planning on doing most of the work myself, and what I can't do, having my dad do (he can work miracles with a welder). I know it won't be perfect when I'm done, but I want it to be presentable, dependable, and enjoyable.

Well, whadda you guys think?
wgjones3 is offline   Reply With Quote