The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Bainsy

Aussie built 1980 c10

Hey guys, this here is my current project, a 1980 c10 short box that had a stock peanut head/4bolt 454 and a th350 transmission. I bought it from an importer here in Australia, direct from California. on first inspection it looked like a pretty decent truck, something that wouldn't need much work. I took it for a test drive down the street and it seemed good so I purchased it.

within the first 5 minuets of driving it home the engine stopped... the fuel pump stoped working so I had to tow it home, it was the middle of summer and my car kept overheating. 7 hours later we arrived home with a dead c10 and a close to dead Mitsubishi wagon

that next week I purchased a new fuel pump and while I was at it I noticed the front bumper was sitting a little crooked so I loosened the bolts to straighten it, only to find the front of the chassis was bent! the left hand side chassis rail had been knocked upward and outwards.

its hard to see in the photo but it is bent!

I pulled the radiator support off the front of the car to straighten it out the chassis and also noticed the left hand lower control arm had been hit pretty hard too so I needed to get another lower control arm.

inside the engine bay was a mess, all the suspension bushes were worn, back brakes needed replacing, most of the wiring around the engine was wrecked, cab mounts were almost gone and the engine and tranny were leaking bulk amounts of oil. this is where I decided to completely pull it down and start from scratch!

I made an attatchment that I put on my engine crane to lift the cab off and a trolly to sit it on

heres some pics of the build so far

this is my project manager, lucy!

DJM control arms and CPP big brake kit