The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Here is a substitute for the “hockey puck” (Round) clearance light lenses.

-
I don’t have a truck that uses these but I have this cab roof that I cut off of an old wrecker a few years ago that has them on it. I know the round lenses are hard to find so I always keep my eye out for them at the swap meets. I never find any, but every time I see the Harley turn signal lenses I have to take a closer look just to make sure. I saw a pair of the HD lenses at the swap meet last weekend for 50¢ each so I decided to buy them and see if they could be adapted to the truck roof.

They are a little smaller and the screw holes are a little too close together but they work with a couple of modifications.

Here is what I did:

First picture is the stock HD lense. Second picture is where you have to trim down the screw hole bosses on the bottom. The third picture shows the screw holes slotted. (slot so screws fit snug) You have to leave enough lip on the sides for the screw heads to rest on. I used screws with smaller heads than the stock ones but the heads still had to be ground down to fit down in the the recessed holes. I just used some old slotted screws I had on hand for the test fit, (fourth picture) but if you used new stainless screws they shouldn’t rust where you grind them down. Here you can see that the the lense is smaller than the rubber pad. You have a couple of choices on how to seal everything up. You can use a small rope chalking like I show in pictures five and six, (should be available in different colors at most hardware stores) or you can use a small amount of Silicone Sealant. I think the rope chaulk would make it easier if you ever had to change a bulb. Be sure and push some chaulking down around the screw heads to seal them up. Picture seven shows the before and after lenses.

When you tighten the screws be gentle so you don’t crack the plastic. It shouldn’t take much to hold them down.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-21-2017 at 10:01 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote