The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Southernkilowatt

New Member Introduction: Southernkilowatt

Hey all, hopefully this is the first post of many
I have/had joined two other Chevy truck forums and was dissapointed in both. Ask a question and maybe get an answer maybe not. So I was a lurker here for several weeks before I decided to join. Now that I have I will delete the other two forums and forget them forever! I have really enjoyed the project builds and all the pictures are great! I have already gotten a lot of good ideas from you guys and I cant wait to start picking your brains!
Last year I bought my 1985 GMC from my brother in law, I had known this truck for more than ten years and had always told him if he ever decided to sell I wanted first shot. Well that day finally came! I am very happy to have the old girl even though she has her problems. My brother in law had Polio when he was a child, and has been in a wheelchair for as long as I can remember so he was not able to properly supervise all the work that the hackers had done over the years. The truck was a mess with cut wires, vacuum tubes blocked or missing, smog pump removed and all the smog components hacked or torn out. She was a hard start and would run dog legged until it got warm.
My plans are to fix it up and give it to my oldest grandson when he turns 16, he is 6 now so that gives me plenty of time I hope!
So far I have replaced the tires, all four brakes, shocks, fuel sending unit, power steering pump, carb, plugs, wires, rotor button, general tune up, removed 20 lbs of scrap wire from some unholy hacked up sterio job, replaced the door hinge pins, weather stripping for the windows, installed new drop shackles for the rear, new wiper blades, removed 20 year old window tint (it looked horrible!) replaced the center hanger bearing for the drive shaft, and repaird both window regulators.
On the list of things yet to be done; new paint, new rubber floor mat (somebody put house carpet in it) a new set of wheels and tires, new grille and all lights and componets. I really love the body style of these trucks and I have seen what some of you have done. I hope mine will look half as good as some of yours! I'm happy with the 4.3ltr V6 with the 4bbl carb, it has plenty of power and gets better gas mileage than my wifes 2010 Ford!
Anyways, just wanted to say HEY! and thanks for allowing me to be part of your group!

SK
Southernkilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote