The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Clatterville trolley

Suggestions please

I have a 1969 C10 long bed with a 307 v-8, 2 barrel Rochester carb. and three-on-the-tree.
I overhauled the carb.; replaced coil, ignition wires, dist. cap, rotor, plugs, points and condenser. For a while I didn't have fire to the spark plugs, but finally pulled the distributor and got a good look at the point set. 99% of the time new points are at least set so that it will start when installed then need adjustment, but these were set so wide that they never touched even when off the cam lobes. After setting points much closer to correct (by eye and feeler gauge) I got the engine to fire at plugs and start briefly on starting fluid - just a sniff.
Once I got the best of that I worked over the fuel system - cleaned all lines, new sending unit, new fuel pump, new rubber hoses, cleaned / sealed fuel tank, new stone filter in carb.
Then stupidity took over! I didn't like all the grease and gunk on the engine and in engine compartment, so I used my small power washer and degreaser to clean it as much as I could. I didn't point the wand directly at the dist. or carb. but of course they got plenty of 'splash' from the flying water.
I let it set for about a week afterwards while I worked on re-upholstering the seat and some other tasks thinking that it would dry out during that time.
Now when I put fresh gasoline in the tank and tried to start it I don't have any fire at the spark plugs again.
I know about the WD40 trick of spraying it inside the dist. cap etc. which I did, but didn't help - still no fire to plugs. Got any suggestion other than sticking my head in the door and slamming it?? Thanks, Jay

PS - I did a forum search and didn't see anything different than what I have tried already.
Clatterville trolley is offline   Reply With Quote