The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2003, 07:04 AM   #1
M_R_Q

I need some shifter help.

So here is my story. I have a 71 GMC lwb fleetside with a 250 and 3 on the tree. When it gets cold the shifter refuses to go into 1st and reverse, unless you drive it around for 15-20 minutes. I still get 2nd and 3rd but it seems to freeze up so I cant pull it "up" to get it into the other gears. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Problem 2 is that I have very little mechanical knowledge, and I mean none. If it cant be fixed with wd40 or duct tape, it cant be fixed. I also have very little money, so Id like to be able to fix it myself.

Problem 3 (the big one). One day I was on my way somewhere and found that there was still a little bit of movement in the shifter and I thought I might be able to get it into first.... but I guess I pulled to hard and I snapped the shifter off inside the column. I pulled the pin out of the shifter handle and pulled it out, so I know its broken off just inside there, but I dont know how to go about getting in there to fix. Any help would be great.
51 ford pickup
73 ford ranger
M_R_Q is offline   Reply With Quote