The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
grif

PLEASE HELP: Converting from External to Internal Voltage Regulated Altenator

Hi folks,

I'm experiencing charging problems with my 1971 K20. It's never charged correctly since I've owned it - the battery drains if I drive it for more than an hour or so.

I've replaced the alternator and external voltage regulator without success. I'd like to convert to an internally regulated alternator (which may or may not solve my problem), but the wires coming from my voltage regulator are different than the pictures in toddtheodd's post in the FAQ:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

I have attached a photo of my voltage regulator wiring. The previous owner re-wired with a painless wiring harness. The blue and brown wires run to the alternator. I'm not sure where the white wire goes, but it is jumpered to another terminal on the voltage regulator. Is anyone familiar with this wiring configuration?

Any ideas why I am not getting a charge and how I wire up the internally-regulated alternator?

Thank for you help!
Grif
Attached Images

grif is offline   Reply With Quote