The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Red68ShortFleetside

Ford AODE automatic in a 68!

A couple of you have asked about the Ford automatic transmission in my 68. When I put the TPI engine in, I wanted a modern 4 speed automatic with electronic control. I wanted the electronic control so I could electronically tune the automatic just like the engine. Man as I get older, my body doesn't like getting under vehicles.....I tried to find a GM 4L60E but every body wanted $2000 or more for a complete setup. Then Hot rod Magazine ran a story about a guy in Canada (Lentech Automatics) that was putting Ford AOD (nonelectronic control) automatics behind 1200 hp Chevy big blocks. He also designed an adapter to put the Ford AOD behind a Chevy. After reading that article I knew I had to have one. However he also wanted $2000 for a race ready transmission. After doing a little more research, I found that the newer Ford automatics are electronically controlled (AODE). I also happed to find a used AODE in a junk yard for $400 with new seals installed I also found a company (Baumann Engineering) on the internet that sells an electronic controller and wiring harness for an AODE for a reasonable price.
After getting all of the above pieces together, it looked feasible. The only other issues was having a local machine shop adapt the Ford torque converter to my Chevy flexplate. After bolting the Ford AODE transmission to my TPI engine I lowered the whole thing into the 68 for a trial fit. The rear transmission mount was nothing more than an adapter I made that bolted to the original transmission crossmember. The fire wall needed a little massaging with a sledge (the transmission adapter moved the transmission bell housing back 0.5 inch). The driveshaft was solved by using a 1350 yoke along with a custom driveshaft from Barry Williams.
I have had this AODE transmission running for about 4 years. I really like it (mainly because I can adjust shift points and line pressure with a laptop computer).
There are 3 issues which I didn't know when I started this whole deal.
#1, Ford AODE automatics free wheel when you let up on the gas. So far this has not concerned me too much. I just have to use the brakes more.
#2 Ford AODE automatics shift slow. I was used to my Turbo 400 with a shift kit which would chirp the tires when it shifted. I am told by Baumann Engineering this is fixable with the installation of their shift kit.
#3, The AODE bell housing still rubs against the firewall. This is my fault, should have spent more time massageing with the sledge.
So far I am very happy with my Ford AODE transmission. Even in stock form this is one tough transmission. I can cruise on the highway at 70 mph at 2200 rpm (I have 4:11 gears) while pulling down 24 mpg. The good mileage is also due to the TPI engine and my many years of tuning (another story).
Would I recommend this transmission conversion? You bet!!!!
Keep on trucking!!!!!!!
heavily modified TPI engine. Ford AODE automatic (yes Ford!), 12 bolt 4:11 positraction rear axle, 4 wheel disc brakes, wood dash and LED instrumentation, BMW bucket seats, outside stock except for dark red paint.
Red68ShortFleetside is offline   Reply With Quote