The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Custom 68

drastic pinion angle after raising front trailing arms

Guys
I know this has been beat on regarding the pinion angle and maybe after all the reading I tried it got me confused again.
Anyway looking for some more info. I lowered the rear of my truck with some soft 5 inch drop springs. I also decided to flip my front mounts for my trailing arms understanding it was going to help my instant center. Well when I raised these mounts my pinion angle got pretty bad and now I need to fix it.
currently my engine is approximately 2.5 degrees with the tranny lower than the front. My pinion has the yolk (front) sticking up about 9.5 degrees. My drive shaft is basically zero degrees so it is level with the ground.
My understanding is that the pinion and engine/tranny should be parallel under load. That being the case I need to rotate the front of the rear end down. My choices are to relocate the front of the trailing arms back down to stock, make some shims for the rear to bring it down about 8 degrees or cut the saddles and rotate the entire thing that way. I really don't want to cut on my axles so I may take that off the table. Question is the moving my arm mounts up like I did is it worth leaving it and shim to get the angles correct? And is my understanding correct that the tranny should be down my 2.5 degrees and the front of the pinion should be up around 1.5 to 2 degrees static.
Thanks guys.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote