The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked up a turn signal lever in the GM EPC (Electronic PArts Catalog) and I see two that might fit your requirement, top and bottom, depending on Chrome or Black...but I can guess which you want. Unless you wanted to add some cruise control while you were at it. Left column is GM part number, AC Delco part number is shown to the right in the Description. Happy hunting.
I'm kind of behind the curve here. Are those levers for straight columns only or do they interchange between straight and tilt?. I need straight column parts at this time. I've got the column ripped into a hundred pieces right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekin112000 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance.

How do you use a nut to clean up those threads? What are the groves cut in it for.

Wouldn't putting a nut on boggered threads just leave a boggered nut and threads?
It acts just like a thread cutting die. The nut has good threads in it, and the slots that I cut allow any chips or slivers to escape. You just use a die grinder to cut slots in a new nut, then oil the threads real well and carefully work the nut onto the threads, back and forth until it spins all the way up and down the threads smoothly.

It's not ideal or the "right" way to do it, but a 14mm x1.5 die runs about 20 dollars. If I bought the die, I'd be very likely to never use it again after this repair job. So, even though its a bit of a lowbrow way to fix the threads, as you can see from the pics, it works pretty well.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote