The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
clapage6

Finally got to experience the Gear Vendors O/D unit - long post

I bought my 83k30 cc Dually in feb. of 2013.

It's used only to haul my desert toys out to the dunes and move loads to the dump etc.

When I first bought the truck I bought it under the impression the the gear vendor o/d unit dide NOT function. Although installed it would not stay engaged in Over drive. it would "hunt", keep kicking in/out etc...

Well i drove the truck like that with no overdrive even testing out and hauling a 12k dry weight 5th wheel toy hauler out to the dunes (not sure what total weight is loaded. would assume roughly 14k) It was NOT pleasant through the grades but wasn't terrible either with 4.56's. with speed limit of 55 anyways. I was roughly 3400 rpm to maintain 55mph in 2nd gear (which i just wouldn't) so up the grade i'd cruise probably 45mph to keep rpm's down.) (temps all stayed fine regardless of rpm)

Well, when i got back, i decided I'd do my best to trouble shoot and/or replace the GV and see how it towed. I emailed GV first with little luck. When I finally got a response it wasn't a helpful one but one pushing me to just exchange mine for a rebuilt unit at I think $650 or some number near there. Well I called them up after that and trouble shoot some more. This was much more productive... testing everything from the solenoid actuation to pump pressure and even tried a new solenoid to no avail. new fluids etc. Again it was recommended I exchange my unit for a rebuilt on and cough up the $650. Although I was now slightly more convinced.. I decided to troubleshoot one last time on my own.

The first and only test i did was hook my solenoid up to 12v via a toggle switch with the other solenoid pin to ground of course. And the gear vendor worked perfect and stayed in overdrive without issues. Imagine that..... never once was it suggested to bypass my electronics. Now i don't know if that had to do with my explanation of the problems I was experiencing or what. but regardless I wasn't super impressed. But the fact My unit worked mad me happy enough to forget about it....and just run it off the toggle. Since I don't use it but on the highway anyways. (i won't forget to turn it off)

The game changer:

The truck tows AMAZINGLY with this set up now. 454 out of an RV/th400 with shift kit / 4.56's/ gear vendor. It loves 2nd over towing that 14k up through the mountains NO PROBLEM... I'm cruising 55-60 without the engine screaming. And same in 3rd over on the flats. When this unit is working it seriously made an amazing improvement in drive-ability. I couldn't be happier.. that might change if i forget to turn off the overdrive before stopping, during power braking, or going into reverse..... but I'll be trying real hard not to forget.
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote