The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
mpierce9

ignition switch actuator rack help

Hello, My ignition switch recently stopped feeling like it was doing anything internally. It would spin freely and not activate the Accessory, Run, or most critical position Start.

After some research i'm feeling my ignition switch actuator rack has become disconnected. I'm working on breaking down the steering column in order to expose this piece but i've run into a snag. The turn signal actuator is hardwired and those wires run down the center of the column. I'm trying to remove the upper jacket bowl from the steering column and since I can't disconnect the turn signal actuator AND the wires are so short, there isn't enough room for me to pull the upper jacket off the column. I need to separate the wires from the turn signal actuator in order to allow enough room to slide the jacket off the steering column.

I've included some pictures to reference.

Below is the turn signal actuator and the attached wiring. As you can see it is not a plug, but is hardwired.

Below you can see the upper jacket with some separation from the lower jacket. However it stops due to the connected turn signal actuator being hard wired.

On a final note this is for a 1975 K5 Blazer. I can't imagine the steering column is that much different from a truck. Any insight is welcome.
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote