The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
TheBumbleBeeTruck

Want to swap a 305 for a..?

I'm new here, and looking for some advice. I'm 16, and got my first truck, a 1985 chevy 3/4 ton stepside, yellow with black fenders, and an orange flashing light behind the cab. Called the BumbleBee truck. I'ts an ex county truck

It's got a 305 in it right now, which really has no power. It struggles just going up hills, and's just plain not powerful. I'm also a boat guy, (since you can run boats when you're 13, I got 4 boats right now.) I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't make it up a hill with a 3000-3500 pound boat.

Well, I went for a ride again in my buddy's 1985 dodge 1/2 ton, that he put a 440 in. That thing really moves, even though he says it only has about 300 hp. That really made me want to look into some crate engines.

So, I'm really new to all this, and was lookin' for some opinions on what the best engine is. So I'm looking for a 350, or maybe a 383, but I want to try and keep the price around $3500, so I'm guessing that kinda limits me to 350, or a 355? Looking for turn key, or almost turnkey preferably. I was hoping to get something around 300 to maybe 350 hp, I looking for something with good torque, because I need to be able to tow boats with it, but also like to hotrod around with it a little bit, (remember I'm 16.)

The transmission in the truck from what I can tell is a 700r4, at least I know it's a 4 speed automatic. Will an engine like i'm talking about bolt up to that tranny, will put to much stress on it?

Any advice/ knowledge like best brands, best place to buy (I've been looking on Jegs mostly so far) etc is most appreciated. I really don't know a whole lot but would really like to learn.

here she is

She's a chick magnet

Thanks

Logan

Last edited by TheBumbleBeeTruck; 12-04-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added pictures
TheBumbleBeeTruck is offline   Reply With Quote