The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Grumpy old man

You have to love small town America !

Last week I found a '67 short wide bed project on Craigslist in Kentucky and I made the deal and sent a deposit to buy the truck with a bill of sale only .Well I went to my local DMV here in East Tn and found that they will no longer register any vehicle with just a bill of sale like they used to .

Since I already had the vin I decided to call Kentucky dmv located at the local county clerks office and asked for the previous owners name and address ,I explained the story on buying the truck and not wanting to find out later that there may be a problem or maybe it was stolen and they gave me the last owners name and address over the phone . Well I tried to find a phone # but had no luck so I called the local police station in the town the last registered owner lived in and again explained my story on the truck and how I needed the title .

The lady on the phone was unable to give out any information on the owner but was more than happy to tell me she knew them and gave me the personal cell phone number to the local postmaster who she said was a good friend of the last owner and probably had their home number .

I called the local postmaster and again I told my story about the truck and the title the local police officer and the local DMV and he was happy to give me their home # and asked I remind them to bring a covered dish to Wednesday night church services !

Well... I called the # provided by the postmaster who's personal number I got from the local police in the town I got from the local DMV in the next state to where I live about 160 miles away !

And again I told my story on finding the truck on craigslist in another state and buying the truck with a bill of sale yet finding out I need a registration or title from the last registered owner and after talking to Kentucky DMV and calling the local police and the local postmaster to get their home number to call and check that the truck was never stolen and if they had an old registration or title and Not to forget the covered dish for Wednesday night's church services ......After a few moments of silence .........He remembered that he had junked the truck in 1974 with a smoking motor and if I would just hold on for a minute he would look and see if he still had the title ..................... When he came back on the phone he told me this story .....

He and his wife were married before he left for Vietnam and he bought the truck for them before he left and and it served them well until the engine went bad and he junked it in 1974 the truck had 47,000 miles and they had always wondered what had happened to "their " first car together and he would be happy to send me the original title and all the original buyers paperwork witch he still had if i would just send them a picture when it was done !

You have to love small town America !!

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote