The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
GoaterAz

Weekend Vent and Pointers Needed

For those with some time to kill…

Last weekend I attempted to remove the front right wheel. Five lug nuts came off (with some force from a breaker bar) but the remaining lug nut was just spinning the stud. It's been literally 5+ years since they have been removed. So, I put the 5 nuts back on and I drove down to my local shop to see if they have any ideas on removing the nut (i.e. cutting it off etc). Keep in mind, this shop is less than a mile from my house. Upon arrival at the shop, 4 of the nuts that I literally just tightened minutes earlier where now finger tight.

The shop was closing but they took a look and told me that something in the hub assembly may have disintegrated and they couldn't really guarantee they wouldn't do damage to the wheel when attempting to break the stuck nut.

Being so close to home and given the shop was now closed, I just needed to get the truck back home. I tried to tighten the four loosey goosey nuts, they would get to snug and then literally just spin each stud…all four of them. At this point, I figured since I got down there…I could probably get back. The plan was to just take it slow and steady…shortly after leaving the shop's parking lot, the front right side of my truck started to bounce and made a god-awful grinding noise, the front right wheel felt like it was square, this must be what Fred Flintstone has to deal with. I pull over and noticed that 2 lug nuts jumped ship and there was no way I was driving home. Called a tow truck and $80 later…she's home.

Anywho, my disc brake conversion is coming sooner that I had planned, lol. I was reading the Gumby build thread and I decided to just take off each front assembly as a whole (I will be pricing out Porterbuilt tubular control arms). The only thing holding me back from taking off the passenger side assembly is the brake line. I am working with limited tools but I went down and bought some flare wrenches and I'm still just rounding out the brake line nut…I've also tried several rounds of PB Blaster and a vice grip…no luck.

So, my question is…any tips on removing this guy?

Or I could remove it at the drum, but keep in mind, I can't get the wheel off…is this removable from the back? It doesn't look like I can.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote