The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
AZNUKLHD

Replaced starter and truck wont shut off.

Hello,

I took the truck out yesterday and drove it for an hour or so. My intent was to get it nice and warm prior to emission testing. While at emissions the truck no longer would idle. For some reason it would start and after idling for a few minutes it would die as if it was starving for fuel. Carb was rebuilt and I verified the floats today. However after multiple restars and adjustments I started to get a grinding noise then it wouldn't turn over at all.

So today I went and bought a replacement starter. This one looks exactly like the one I took out. I hooked it up the way the previous one was. There was one main post for the cable from the battery. THere were also two small posts. I landed one wire to one post and another wire to the other post just like it came off. Truck started up fine and I messed with the carb a bit more. It maintained idle and after a few minutes I went to turn the truck off and it did not shut off. I have a manual trans so I dumped the clutch in 3rd gear and shut it off.
THe starter is difficult to get to/remove so I was hoping one of you experts could provide some insight on where to start. I have searched and searched this forum as well as google. That yielding about 10~12 different answers and I'm more confused now than when I started. I don't think its the ignition switch as it worked fine until I replaced the starter. Is there a chance the posts are different on this starter compared to the one I pulled out?

So I apolgize in advance for my ignorance. I'm frustrated as my truck is on the side of the road since yesterday and I can't get it home.

Its a 71 C10, 5.7, manual and HEI. The truck has sat the last 7 years and I have been in the process of making it road worthy. There were some wiring issues btw as the truck sat in the AZ desert some critters apparently got hungry and chewed up some stuff.

Thanks for any input.
AZNUKLHD is offline   Reply With Quote