The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Hard to find a good repair shop?

I was wondering if this was just me. I find it very hard to find what I would call a "good" automotive repair shop. I try to turn my own wrenches, and most of the time I do. But now and again, I'll take it somewhere to have someone else do it. Either I just simply don't want to do it, or I'm not comfortable with my skill level. Or I don't want my truck down for the amount of time it would take me to do it. Sometimes it could be weeks while I wait on parts and learn about the repair process.

I don't really have to have the truck, but I do want to be able to use it on a spur of the moment impulse. So down time to me really isn't acceptable unless its low. If the down time can't be low, say 1-3 days, I'll usually take it to my trusted mechanic.

So anyway, I've only found 1 guy, in all my days of working on things. 1 guy. And I've done more than most, as I used to have a used car business where every day was spend working on cars, and weighing how much could be spent and what should just be taken to a professional. This guy is fairly inexpensive, and typically does the job right the first time. If you have to take it back to him for the same problem, he never complains or charges more or tries to cheat anyone. I'd say he's a very honest man. He doesn't have the standard list of excuses that you'll hear from a typical mechanic, or reasons why the repair failed and now you should pay him more.

But, he'll retire soon, as he's already 65. I don't know how long he'll continue. He does have several employees, but without him around its doubtful that type of dedication to customer service will continue. If the business will even continue. So what do you look for in a shop? I've had such bad luck with all other shops that I really don't trust any of them. I think that there probably are others out there that can be trusted, but they are really expensive. To the point that if this guy retires, I'll probably be spending a lot more time wrenching on the old truck than I do now. And while I do enjoy it from time to time, I don't want to get burnt out. And spending a lot of time doing it, just really isn't my idea of a good time. What are your thoughts and opinions?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote