The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
shortstep66

Engine Swap Questions

Hello! I'm new here and fairly new to automotive work. I've had a shortbed 66 C10 stepside for about 10 years that my brother gave me. I'm only 24, so I'm just now starting to make the money it will take to pursue this project, albeit at a very slow pace.

A little back story on the truck. It was built for the army and used to drive personnel around base. It was built in Atlanta and stayed here during it's entire lifetime. My father bought two of them at an army auction for $50 dollars a piece after they were decommissioned, a 66 and a 65. He repaired the 66 with a few of the 65 parts and his wife at the time drove it from the burbs to her job downtown every day for about 15 years, from about '75 to '90 and it has been sitting in my dads barn ever since. It's bare bones as they come with a 230 i6 and a three speed on the column. I want it to be a daily driver someday so I want to make a few modifications, such as adding disc brakes on the front, a/c, a radio (and speakers, obviously), and maybe power steering.

I've heard that the small 230 will struggle to run the compressors and pumps for the things I want. If thats the case, I'd like to upgrade to a 292. I have a 327 from a 64 corvette thats been modded as a racing motor that I could drop into it, but I don't really want a racing motor in a daily driver, especially with just a three speed tranny. I'd like to keep a straight six in it if I can.

In summary, will the 230 run well with the accessories? And if not, is the 292 a good option? And what all will I need to do to make the engine fit and work properly aside from shifting the motor mounts? I'll get a project thread started with pics once I get ready to start this project in earnest. I still have a lot of money to drop on tools before I can really get started. And I really need to learn how to weld. Haha
shortstep66 is offline   Reply With Quote