The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Sean C

Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??

Hey all. So I went to move my truck out of my brother's garage today and ran into some fun (ha). Long story short, he drove her last and thought he filled her up because the neck on the tank is a little short so it occasionally stops the gas flow from the pump early.

I pulled her out and parked diagonally in the driveway, since I was letting her warm up a bit, and after a couple minutes she died. I thought it was just the cold and turned the key. She sounded like she wanted to turn over and like she was about too, then it sounded a little strange, so I backed off. Tried the key one more time when it occurred to me that the truck was out of gas. I put a couple gallons in from my brother's garage and tried again, but to no avail.

I've never ran out of gas in any of the cars I've driven so this was a first for me. I've heard that it's fairly easy to burn out a mechanical fuel pump and am afraid I did just that.

What should I do to properly attempt to start the truck after I get some more gas in her?

What should I do in the event the fuel pump is spent? (obviously replace it, but is there anything special I need to know?)

I'd really appreciate help on this. I've got to get my truck out of my brother's driveway haha.

Thanks,

Sean
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote