The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oil leaks are so aggravating...

So, new T5 in John Lee....love it...cept for the speedo bullet leak.

New o-ring, still leaks.

Gooed it, still leaks....

Found out it has an inner seal on the snout that rides the shaft of the driven gear.

Ordered a new bullet since the oil appears to be comeing out right along the shaft....Crossin my fingers.

As for the engine oil.

Found out you can adjust a Weber 32/36 to run perfectly with an upside down PCV valve even though in that position if functions like a giant vacuum leak.

But ya install it right and add a Mr. Gasket oil breather baffel plug and push in breather and it plugs up enough to push oil right out past the rear main...

See, I still had some mist/blowby comeing out the top of the old twist in breather and onto the valve cover...not much but aggravating....its nice to keep a clean bay.

I noted there is only a small slit in the rubber between the flanges of that Mr. Gasket baffeled grommet. Pulled into work this morning and ounces of oil runnin out the rear main. Like a coffee cup sized puddle in about 30 seconds.....drip drop drip drop....

So, at lunch a bit of surgery on the grommet with a good sharp pocket knife and needle nose plyers to open up that lil tiny slit to about a 1/4" hole and a short ride around and I don't see any new leakage. Course, I got a new mess to clean up inside the bell houseing and all back across the frame and transmission but again, I'm crossin my fingers. Perhaps proper function of the PCV system (i.e. air flow in, across, and back to the manifold) and my new felpro rear seal will function correctly!