The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Hart_Rod

Let's talk air filters & air intakes and how they affect an engines tune..

K&N? Spectre? AEM?

What do you have and why are you using it?

What about air intake tubing? 3"? 4" straight? bends?

I bring this up because I never realized the drastic affect that changing the air intake tube and the air filter would have on how the motor AND transmission runs.......!!!!!! I was using a temporary K&N setup on my LS3 in my 68 and had the motor/tranny tuned pretty well. I finally got around to building a cold air intake for it and used a Spectre filter due to size of the box. After getting everything built, I did a test run on and could not believe the difference it made in the truck!! All the fuel trims were messed up, the transmission was shifting all weird, looks like everything we did to the tune was wrong and needs to be done again! Gen IV's are very particular to airflow, and I knew that changing the intake setup up would require some fine tuning, but not to the extent that it did. What do you guys think has the most affect on the engine, the shape of the air intake or the filter you put on? Just thought I would bring this up to generate some discussion and remind people to make sure they finish up the intake setup prior to any tuning.

Here's pictures of what I had initially and the cold air intake I built. Fire away!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 01-22-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote