The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
99-LS1-SS

Re: GM Performance 350/290 motor question

I have more information regarding my saga.

When I had the new transmission put in last week, I noticed an exhaust leak when I got the truck back. I figured they crushed the doughnut gasket that connects the manifold to the Y-pipe. I got under the truck and pulled the old one off and I was right, the gasket was shot. I put a new gasket on and the "ticking" got noticeably better but, it didn't go away totally. So now I have an exhaust manifold gasket leaking (I hope it's that and not a cracked manifold). I just ordered a set of Earl's Pressure Master exhaust manifold gaskets (part# 29D03BERL).

I am amazed at how many issues I'm having to wade through after putting a new motor and transmission in this truck. I'm ready for this thing to start running like it should.

Once I have the exhaust leak fixed, I'll recheck the timing then the air/fuel settings, the carburetor vacuum, and then I'll go to the pump nozzle. Does this sound like the correct order of importance?

On top of all of that, I have to adjust the governor because my low RPM shifts aren't right.

Ok, I'm done whining for now.

As always, thanks for all of the help! It might not seem like it but I have learned a lot through this process and I am grateful for that.

I'll report back in a few days.

1984 K10 beater truck
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote