The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
nolimitssjca

Wheel Cylinder won't come loose

I have a 1970 C20 that has suffered from low stopping power (4 drum brakes) since we bought her. This weekend my son and I finally bled the system and put on new front brake shoes. During the bleeding process we found the drivers side wouldn't bleed. Putting a new wheel cylinder in sounded like a good idea.

But before we did that we took a test drive and found that the bleeding process really improved the power. So next we put on new shoes. While I had the drivers side off I tried to take of the wheel cylinder but the bolt under the spindle was stuck tight and rounded. I tried a closed wrench but it won't grab and the open end slips off under minimal pressure. There is almost no room to access this thing. The bolt in front of that came loose okay but now I'm stuck.

To make matters worse it appears the brake hose is frozen on both the wheel cylinder and the brake line.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to gain access to the bolt behind the spindle or any tricks to free up the brake hose? I'm afraid of rounding it too.
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote