The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
donthekawguy

Dumb question but have to ask

As soon as the snow clears I'm going to the local pull and save to get a new front end for my 66. They have a ton of 73-87 2wd trucks and I'm hoping to find one with a complete front end. I will be getting the crossmember and complete suspension, steering box, MC and maybe brake lines. While I have it out I'm going to rebuild it with new ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings. One of the questions is when I get drop spindles and springs, do I get them for the year of truck I get the parts from? Sounds pretty obvious but I had to ask. Also do I get new tie rod ends for the same year as the donor? And one more. Do I use the pitman arm from the donor or use the one from the 66? That should cover it for now. I was going to get my truck out of storage and start the tear down next week but we got hit with around 6 inches of snow and now it looks like it will be mid March before I can start on it due to having to work on it in the driveway. My plan is take the whole front end off, clean and pain t the frame, rebuild the front suspension and brakes, change the gaskets and paint the motor, do the bodywork and paint the front end. Should take a couple of months but it will be fun.