The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: inline six beefy engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
No one is making tri-y for inline sixes any more....Clifford used to and several mfgrs thru jc whitney in the old days. But I keep coming back to Langdons cast iron headers with the heat coating......I can y pipe at the right spot and get a similar impact....just gotta figure where. I think not more than about 3 feet back....somewhere near the cab front I think.

But don't knock it.....up to 25 horse on a 155 horse engine is a huge percentage.....I'd spect that's only with cam and intake mods though. 10 or so horses is prolly more realistic. Good news is if you want the absolute best idle and daily driveability nothing beats the stock inline 6 cams that are already in the engine....every other cam moves torque and power further up the rpm range where you be using it less and less often unless yer on the drag strip. I'll be keeping my stock cam and the goal is to make the power and torque in the useable band from 1500 to 3500 rpm.
I was told by several guys that when you add headers and a 4 barrel carb you can get a hp increase of Up to 20-25 hp...the torque...Maybe 10-15 foot pounds....that's why you don't feel a major increase in power...it takes torque to move an automobile...the stock torque rang on a 6 is 1000-2300 rpm..almost like a cummins. When I installed the big edelbrock and headers on my 292 something changed the torque curve, cause now it has torque from off idle-just about 3000 rpm. The cam I am going to use is .518 lift and peaks torque at 3300 rpm...now if I installed a richmond 6 speed then I wouldn't need to rev the motor to 4000 rpm between shifts like I do with the ol 4 speed. But I am going to completely hotrod the engine....It'll be making 330+ torque when done. The stock cam provides .401 lift and 188 duration @.50. I want something that will cruise, but will also take on a 350...and if built right they will do both.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote