The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
oldskoolrules

New and in need of some information.

Hello all, new here to this forum and older trucks. I have built quite a few custom cars and trucks but just late models mostly. I am wanting to get into the classics and know little to nothing about them. But I have always been drawn to them and hit all the classic shows I can, just never pulled the trigger till now.

I have been doing tons of searching on the web for info since picking up my 65 C-10 and have learned a ton. Its a driver right now but won't be for long.
Some info on the truck, 1965 C10 2wd, has a 350 and 350 tranny. I have purchased a front end off a 89 suburban 2wd and started cleaning it up to completely rebuild it all and install lowered spindles, springs, new rotors, sway bars, etc. I have all the stuff I purchased for the rear 5 lug disc conversion and lowering, sway bars etc. I also picked up a fresh built and hopped up 5.7 350 and 700r4 out of a wrecked 83 c10. I'm tons more familiar with late model and electronics and was planning on a LS motor but I couldn't pass up the deal on this combo I picked up.
I will also be ordering a Dakota digital VHX cluster and vintage air set up for it.

As far as the swap goes with the new motor and 700R4, I know I will have to shorten the drive shaft (most likely), but what else will be required? The tranny has a electronic plug on it, is this for the lockup? If so can I just order a TCI lockup kit for it? Does the dizzy hit the firewall? I have seen some posts where the engine needs to be forward but I dont have the extra mount holes some threads speak about, will I have to fab up new mounts or is there somewhere I can just buy them?

It will eventually be a frame off resto, but since I only have a three car garage I will do the front end, then the bed then flip the cab over to the back of the frame and finish off that area.

Any help to issues I may be running into would be greatly appreciated. I did search and found bits and pieces but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. Thanks in advance and here is a few pictures of the truck.

oldskoolrules is offline   Reply With Quote